5-Minute Fringe 2024 Details
Reading Theater Project’s 9th annual 5-Minute Fringe Festival offers a platform for performing artists to create new work, develop and explore theatrical ideas, challenge their own expectations, and collaborate with an artistic community. If you are interested in participating, read on about how to submit, the rehearsal process, and performance dates.
Each year we choose a theme to unify the performances in the Fringe Festival. This year, the theme is Wonder. Whatever you create should be your own interpretation of Wonder, literal or metaphorical, in whatever performance medium is best for you.
The 5-Minute Fringe will be held at the Yocum Institute for Arts Education’s Schumo Theater from Thursday, February 29, 2024 through Sunday, March 3, 2024.
- There will be an information meeting / brainstorm session on Saturday, December 2, 2023. All are welcome to attend, especially those who are new to the 5-Minute Fringe. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- Submissions for the 5-Minute Fringe Festival will be open until Friday, December 22, 2023 at 11:59 PM via this GOOGLE FORM: https://forms.gle/zkE4okNFsNZPySc86
- You submission must include:
- Title or working title
- Performance Genre(s)
- Script or Outline of performance
- Headshot or photo for marketing
- 100-word bio
- Contact info: email, phone, mailing address, pronouns
- Confirmation of original material
- All pieces should be between five (5) and ten (10) minutes in length.
- Reading Theater Project will provide basic lighting.
- Participants will be expected to provide their own props, costumes, sound and whatever else they need for their performance, within reason.
- Sets should be minimalist and you are expected to be your own stage crew.
- Each piece will receive $100 to use as needed: stipend, costume, props, gas money, materials, anything. This will remain true if it is a solo piece or a group piece.
- Weekly Creative Labs offer artists the opportunity to share their works-in-progress and receive constructive feedback on their work throughout their process. We ask that you come prepared to perform and ask for the feedback you need (we can help you if needed). Our goal is to empower you through working with an artistic community.
- Performers may attend all of the Creative Labs but MUST attend at least TWO. You may attend all of the Creative Labs. We will ask you to commit to at least two dates if your work is selected.
- Tuesday, January 30, 6:30pm
- Wednesday, February 7, 6:30pm
- Thursday, February 15, 6:30pm
- Tuesday, February 20, 6:30pm
- All in-person Creative Labs will be held at the Holy Cross United Methodist Church, located at 329 N. 5th Street, Reading, PA 19601. Parking is available in a lot behind the building on Church St.
TECHNICAL REHEARSALS & PERFORMANCES
- We will have a mandatory run through of the entire production on Saturday, February 24, 2pm, at Holy Cross United Methodist Church. This will be a chance for performers to see each other’s work and for the production team to confirm the order, run time, and prepare for tech week.
- Technical Rehearsals will be held on Monday, February 26, Tuesday, February 27, and Wednesday, February 28, beginning at 6:30 PM. All performers are expected to attend.
- The performance dates are Thursday through Saturday, February 29 through March 2, 7:30 PM each night, and Sunday, March 3, 2:00 PM. Call times for these dates will come at a later date.
- All Technical Rehearsals and Performances will be held at the Yocum Institute for Arts Education located at 3000 Penn Avenue, West Lawn, PA 19609. Please park in the lower lot and enter through the stage door at the back of the building.
- Vicki Haller Graff, Director
- Sean Sassaman, Stage Manager
- email@example.com or 484-706-9719
- Saturday, December 2, 1pm – Information Session and Brainstorm
- Friday, December 22, 11:59 PM – Submission Deadline
- Wednesday, December 29 – Offers Emailed
- Tuesday, January 30, 6:30pm – Creative Lab
- Wednesday, February 7, 6:30pm – Creative Lab
- Thursday, February 15, 6:30pm – Creative Lab
- Tuesday, February 20, 6:30pm – Creative Lab
- Saturday, February 24, 2pm – Run Through
- Monday, February 26, 6:30pm – Technical Rehearsal
- Tuesday, February 27, 6:30pm – Technical Rehearsal
- Wednesday, February 28, 6:30pm – Dress Rehearsal
- Thursday through Saturday, February 29 – March 2, 7:30pm – Performances
- Sunday, March 3, 2:00pm – Performance, followed by Strike
- Playwrights may submit a play and will be responsible for working with a director and actors to bring your production to life. We may be able to help connect you to a director and actors or you may contact your own.
- Directors and Actors may be needed to work on someone else’s project. If needed, there will be an audition on Monday, January 8, in the evening.
- Interested in crew or front-of-house support? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest.