Tickets are on sale for the LGBT + PlaywRIGHTing Series, a partnership among Reading Theater Project, the LGBT Center of Reading and GoggleWorks Center for the Arts.
The play readings feature new plays by writers from New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and California, and all center around characters and stories from the LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) community. One play will be performed each night. A talkback will follow each reading.
- May 5, 7pm – Sweet Texas Reckoning is a play about family secrets coming out. It was written by Traci Godfrey, directed by Joel Gori, performed by Jeanette Fotis, Walidah McKnight, Jules Minotto, and Aaron Rineer.
- May 12, 7pm – Playing on the Periphery is a play that follows four kids through one year as LGBTQ+ third-graders. It was written by Scott C. Sickles, directed by Lady Strongman, performed by Amara Cravener, Henrik Fotis, Liz Lugo, and Kole White. Please note – this play is appropriate for audiences of all ages, especially young audiences.
- June 2, 7pm – Voices from Stonewall is a play that retells this history of the Stonewall Riots from a variety of perspectives. It was written by Michael Gilles and Fay Jacobs, directed by Sean Sassaman, performed by Alexia Dynda, Christopher Paolini, Sarah Rozany, Dan Smith, and Amy Young.
- June 9, 7pm – Sic Amo, Sic Amas is a play about a family of scientists and their struggle to love and accept each other and themselves. It was written by California Jack Cassidy, directed by John Gancar, performed by Richard Bradbury, Oliver Fielding, Vicki Haller Graff, and Marcella Karam.
Play readings will be Thursdays at 7pm, May 5, May 12, June 2, and June 9, at GoggleWorks Center for the Arts Albert and Eunice Boscov Film Theatre (201 Washington Street, Reading, PA 19601 – free parking on site and it’s accessible to all).
All tickets are Pay What You Will, which means YOU set the price. We recommend $10, but any amount is welcome. We also offer a $20 Pay It Forward price for those who are able to include a donation and support another audience member.
Reading Theater Project’s work this season has been finding words within words, ideas within ideas, stories within stories. The word RIGHT makes us think about right and wrong, right and left, human rights, LBGTQ+ rights… the list goes on and on. What comes to your mind?
Become a sponsor of the LGBT + PlaywRIGHTing Series; support the partnership between the Reading Theater Project, LGBT Center of Reading, and GoggleWorks and bring the stories and voices of the LGBTQ+ community to the stage!
• $100 – ACTIVIST – 4 tickets; your name or business listed and linked (where applicable) on the event website and printed program the night of the show.
• $50 – ADVOCATE – your name or business listed and linked (where applicable) on the event website and printed program the night of the show.
• $25 – ALLY – your name or business listed in the printed program the night of the show.
Want to donate more? Please contact Vicki Haller Graff, Artistic Direct – email@example.com or 484-706-9719.
The Reading Theater Project is a locally-focused, professional theater company, based in Greater Reading/Berks County, PA. We produce new theater with a focus on the creative process for the artists involved, resulting in a unique production for the audience. We value collaboration and creative challenges and believe theater is an inclusive experience that can reveal our shared human condition. Risk-taking and art-making are at the forefront of what we do.
The LGBT Center of Greater Reading creates, administers, and provides services, advocacy, and support to the Greater Reading LGBTQ+ community, including our allies, with the goal that all may live a life of fulfillment, inclusion, and celebration.
GoggleWorks transforms lives through unique interactions with art.